Creamy Sausage, Roasted Pepper & Kale Gnocchi Bake
A creamy twist on an old classic! This delicious recipe with fairlife® 3.25% Ultrafiltered Milk is perfect for those weekend afternoons when you’re in the mood for some comfort food but need to eat your veggies too!Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Set a large pot of water to boil on high heat.
2. In a small bowl combine the butter and flour to form a smooth paste. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile heat a large, high-sided saucepan (9-10” diameter) over medium heat. Once heated, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and squeeze sausage meat out of casings and into the pan. Cook 3 minutes while using a wooden spoon to stir and break meat up into small bits.
4. Once cooked through, transfer to a clean dish and strain excess grease from meat. Allow the pan to cool before wiping with paper towels to remove oil and excess solids.
5. Add meat back to pan incorporating shredded kale and cook an additional 2 minutes until sausage is browned in parts.
6. Add fairlife® 3.25% Ultrafiltered Whole Milk to the pan and use a wooden spoon to lift and stir any caramelized bits into the sauce. Simmer for 3 minutes while stirring.
7. Add the butter and flour mixture and stir well to fully incorporate. Gently simmer 1-2 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened and smooth. Stir in roasted red peppers, season to taste with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
8. Once boiling, add the gnocchi to the pot of water and boil just until floating –approximately 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a 9×13-inch roasting pan. Dress the gnocchi with 1/4 of a cup of grated parmesan and all provolone cheese and pour the sauce over top in an even layer. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs mixed with 1/4 of grated parmesan cheese over top and transfer pan to preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes until crust is golden brown. Serve hot.
- 1 1/2 Cups fairlife® 3.25% Ultrafiltered Whole Milk
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 3 x links Italian sausage hot or mild to taste
- 3 Cups kale ribs removed leaves finely shredded
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 6 turns freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 Cup roasted red peppers chopped
- 75 g provolone cheese grated/chopped
- 1/2 Cup parmesan cheese gated and divided into two equal portions
- 1 kg gnocchi
- 1/2 Cup breadcrumbs